Saturday 13 February 2010

The week of injections and rejections

What a week! So between 2 children being vaccinated and the other getting her tonsils out, I spent my days with one hand dispensing medicine and play-dough, trying to nurse the baby, (hands free - it can be done!)  and the other emailing then phoning DCSF and Council and any other connections I had. No help, other than the generic  "please refer to the DCSF registration of independent schools website" .
With many decisions to make, and questions to ask, I can only describe the feeling as if I have opened a roof hatch for fresh air and had it cascade a haul of thrashing fish down upon me.
Back to basics I decide. So...
Talked to a few friends about it and now have another family equally dispondent with local schools, now equally enthusiastic about micro-school idea. Great!
Have friend whose Dad has done just this type of thing, happens to be in London and will meet with us! I had seen his website already and felt very inspired. http://www.hse.org.uk/
Mr Toogood (from Human Spirit Education) was so passionate about small schools and the opportunities it created for the children. What was amazing, he said was how the age between the children simply disappeared, and how keenly this illustrated to him how wrong minded it is to stream by this means.
He gave us some great ideas. The list of to-dos was intimidating but not insurmountable. Most important, obviously, is to find the right teacher. He suggested a graduate, or teaching assistant rather than a teacher. Most teachers, he had found, like to orate and not engage.
Jouranalist friend sent articles by Toby Young who is setting up an Independent School and I like alot of the philosophies of the school.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/23/toby-young-grammar-school-michael-gove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9i6u1HIfs

But still, it is larger than what we are doing, has a dedicated site and is a secondary school.

We have decided to have weekly meetings with the other parents to work our way forward.

Progress is being made. It is.

2 comments:

  1. Cushla, don't stop blogging! I just found your site and am very interested in your experiences, what is working, what's not working, etc.

    Thanks and good fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to encourage you to not give up. This is a good idea and could have significant benefits if properly structured... Having been part of starting a private school here in the States, let me say your idea is great and deserves a full effort. Please feel free to contact me and let me know what you're facing so I can put my mind and soul to work on your challenges.

    ReplyDelete